Water Polo rules and interpretations
It is essential that all Referees, Coaches and Players understand the Rules of Water Polo and particularly how they are applied.
Unlike some sports which attempt to proscribe a rule for every possible scenario, Water Polo has a framework of Rules that are updated every four years by FINA and are supplemented by Amendments, Additions, Interpretations and Explanations which describe how the Rules are to be applied in the Spirit of the Game.
NOTE: There have been MAJOR changes to the FINA Rules and these were be applied in Ireland from the start of the 2019/20 Season
The Rules and guidance currently in force are:
- FINA Rules of Water Polo 2019-2021
- FINA Clarifications on the New Rules – issued by TWPC in February 2019
- FINA Water Polo Manual March 2020
- FINA TWPC Instructions and Clarifications from 2019 World Championships (Gwangju, July 2019)
- FINA TWPC Observations Jan 2019
- August 2014 Boris Margeta lecture/seminar on Water Polo Rules and Interpretations (YouTube Video)
- 2015 USA Water Polo Referee Clinic with FINA Referee Radoslaw Koryzna (YouTube Video)